Children Learning Together
From 10 faculty members, 40 students and three fields of study at the time of its founding, Secondary School has grown to more than 1,600 faculty, 35,000 students and over 350 degree programs in 130 academic departments and 80 interdisciplinary research units. One of the most important things we can do for students is not just teach them specific knowledge and skills, but help them match their interests to their career path.
School Research at a Glance
- 2,118 faculty members
- 21 Nobel laureates
- 4 Pulitzer Prize winners
The Research Enterprise
- 5,300 externally sponsored projects
- $1.33 billion total budget
- About 2,000 postdoctoral scholars
- 18 independent labs, centers and institutes
- 9.3 million physical volumes
- 4 million e-books and audiovisual materials
- 300,000 rare or special books and 59 million pages of unpublished materials
- In 2014–15, Stanford received more than $95 million from 695 licensed technologies.
- Breakthrough inventions licensed by Stanford span medicine, engineering and the sciences.
- School entrepreneurs have created an estimated 39,900 companies and 5.4 million jobs since the 1930s.